Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts is my favorite doughnut recipe. Aside from sugar toppings, you can decorate these with glazes if you wish. The recipe makes 48, but they won’t last long – especially with grandchildren around. I can attest to that!
Buttermilk Cake Doughnuts
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- oil for deep-fat frying
- additional sugar cinnamon-sugar or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored. Add butter and vanilla extract; mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a floured 3-inch doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375 degrees F.
- Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until golden.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Roll in additional sugar if desired.