Cheerwine, the soda pop used to make Cheerwine Barbecue Sauce, is a cherry-flavored soft drink by Carolina Beverage Corporation of Salisbury, North Carolina.It has been produced since 1917.
Because Cheerwine Barbecue Sauce contains sugar, use it carefully. Grill over indirect heat, or use it as a dipping sauce or a finishing glaze.
Cheerwine Barbecue Sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can Cheerwine
- 5 ounces molasses
- 6 ounces brown sugar
- 10 ounces prepared barbecue sauce tomato-based
- 2 ounces distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ounce Liquid Smoke
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Pour into a container and refrigerate until ready to use.