Funnel cakes are a regional specialty food of the Pennsylvania Dutch. The Amish have been making them for ages. Funnel cakes are very popular at ballparks, carnivals, fairs and festivals.
Famous Amish Funnel Cakes
- Mixing Bowls
- 3 eggs beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 cups flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To beaten eggs, add milk and sugar.
- In separate bowl sift dry ingredients.
- Add to egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F and pour batter into hot fat through a regular household funnel. Control the flow of batter by holding your finger over the bottom of the funnel. Make patterns, designs, swirls or whatever with the stream of batter as it flows into the hot fat.
- When "cakes" are golden brown, drain, then sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm.