1849 - Legend says that a miner from a California gold town called Shirttail Bend wandered into the Cary House Hotel in Hangtown and demanded to have the most expensive meal they had. Eggs and oysters were the most costly ingredients they had at the time so the cook came up with this little recipe for Hangtown Fry.
- 1 dozen small oysters
- Flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- cracker crumbs
- 8 eggs
- Dry the oysters on a towel.
- Dip each into seasoned flour then into beaten egg, then into cracker crumbs.
- Fry in butter until crumbs are brown.
- Beat the 8 eggs, pour into frying pan where oysters remain. Cook until firm then flop over and cook other side.