Oyster Po'Boy is one of the culinary delights from the New Orleans area. This large sandwich, when cut in half, serves two hungry people.
- Deep Fryer
- oil for deep-frying
- 1 large loaf French bread split lengthwise
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise not salad dressing
- 6 slices tomato
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- hot sauce
- 12 oysters shucked
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 360 degrees F.
- Brush the bread with mayonnaise; top with tomatoes, lettuce and a few dashes of hot sauce.
- Place oysters in cornmeal seasoned with Cajun seasoning and toss well to coat.
- Fry oysters, in batches, until golden and crispy, turning several times, avoid overcrowding.
- Remove oysters with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Place oysters on the prepared French bread.
- Cut loaf in half to serve two hungry people.