Roasted Poblano Burgers is sure to become one of your favorite ways to make burgers. Freshly roasted poblano peppers and pepper jack cheese are key to these grilled sandwiches.
Roasted Poblano Burgers with Pepper Jack Cheese
- Baking Sheet
- 2 pounds ground beef 90% lean
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chipotle mayonnaise
- 8 (2 ounce) whole-grain hamburger buns
- 8 slices curly leaf lettuce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place poblano peppers on a baking sheet. Rub each pepper with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast until the skin of the pepper is blackened, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and steam for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the bowl, peel, remove the stems and seeds and coarsely chop.
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to 400 degrees F.
- Shape into eight 3/4-inch thick patties. Season each side with salt and pepper. Make a small indention in the center of the burger with your thumb.
- The fire should be quite hot; you should barely be able to hold your hand 3 or 4 inches over the grates. After the coals are gray, spray grates with cooking spray or brush with oil to help keep burgers from sticking.
- Place burgers on grill and cook about 4 minutes per side for rare, another minute per side for each increasing stage of doneness. Top each burger with a slice of cheese the last 2 minutes of cooking time.
- Evenly spread 1 tablespoon chipotle mayonnaise on top and bottom of each bun. Place burgers in buns and top with chopped poblano pepper and lettuce.