Southern-Style Beans with Bacon is cooked in a slow cooker.
If you would like to shorten the cooking time, just put them into a 350 degrees F oven for one hour or until the sauce is thickened.
Southern-Style Beans with Bacon
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 ounces bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans red kidney or other beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt or to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- Slow Cooker
- Heat oil over high heat. Add bacon and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes until onion and bacon are golden.
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker, and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- The sauce should be thickened. Adjust salt and pepper to taste before serving.